Beauty products can help us look and feel great, with many of us using makeup and skincare every day. But when you apply your various beauty products, do you really know what’s in them?
How often do we stop and think about what we are applying to our skin? Could said beauty products be clogging up or affecting your skin in a negative way?
At INIKA, we’re committed to producing clean and safe cosmetics to help our lovely customers stay healthy. Find out more about how to identify clean beauty products, and start putting your skin’s health first.
Why is it important to know what is in your beauty products?
Your skin is the body’s largest organ, and it’s important to keep it healthy. Your choice of cosmetics can affect your health, meaning that choosing healthy beauty products that help protect and nourish your skin is a must.
In recent years, more and more consumers have become aware of harmful ingredients being used in beauty products, and are opting for natural non-toxic alternatives - sometimes referred to as “clean beauty”. But what is clean makeup? Some “clean” makeup and skincare companies may use ingredients deemed "safe" for your skin – yet in many of these formulas, they are still using synthetics. Unfortunately, not many brands are transparent about the ingredients they are using, which is why you need to do some research into your skincare.
At INIKA, we like to do things a little differently. Our products are more than clean. WE ARE PURE. We use only the highest quality ingredients that are certified organic, 100% natural, cruelty-free and vegan.
How to know if cosmetics are safe for your skin?
The most foolproof way to know if cosmetics are safe for your skin to look up ingredients in beauty products. If you’re wondering “are my cosmetics safe?”, then there are a couple of things you can do to find out:
1. Look at the ingredients list. Are there any synthetic ingredients in the formula? Usually, the longer and more complex the words, the increased likelihood that they are synthetic. Look out for Polyethylene glycol (PEGS), parabens, petrochemicals, sulphates and more.
2. What is their concentration? A higher position in the ingredients list indicates a higher concentration, helping you assess which ingredients are strongest in your products. Where possible, aim to have natural ingredients high on the list, with complicated-sounding ingredients (if there are any) towards the end of the list.
Synthetic ingredients to look out for and avoid
Many cosmetics companies include ingredients in their products that can be harmful to the skin, leading to acne, blocked pores and even greater health issues. Some of the ingredients you should avoid include:
- Petrochemicals, synthetic substances or mineral oils
- Parabens Sulphates
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEGS)
- Talc or Bismuth
- Oxychloride Fragrances
We guarantee INIKA Organic’s products contain:
- No petrochemicals, synthetic substances, or mineral oils
- No ingredients of animal origin
- No parabens (butylparaben, ethylparaben, methylparaben, isobutylparaben and propylparaben)
- No sulphates (eg. sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium coco sulphate, ammonium lauryl sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate, ammonium laureth sulphate)
- No polyethylene glycol (PEGS)
- No polysorbates (eg. polysorbate 20)
- No anti-microbial agents produced from non-organic sources
- No talc or bismuth oxychloride or harmful fillers
- No fragrances or colour components of non-organic or synthetic origin
- No chelating agents based on EDTA and its salts.
How to find healthy beauty products?
Now that you know which dangerous ingredients in beauty products to avoid, the question of “how to find healthy beauty products” remains. Is it even possible to formulate beauty products that are safe for the skin? It sure is!
At INIKA Organic, we only use 100% natural, vegan ingredients, tested for safety and purity. When it comes to clean skincare and makeup, the key ingredients to look out for are natural, plant-derived ingredients that are packed with vitamins and minerals. These will work to provide nutrients to the skin that will help boost elements like hydration, brightness and clarity, while helping to minimise the visible signs of ageing and increase skin elasticity. To find out more, read our INIKA Ingredient Promise.
Switching to clean beauty has never been easier
To benefit from the best skincare ingredients, browse our natural and effective, clean skincare and makeup. Browse our blog to learn more about natural beauty, or learn more about our philosophy and natural approach to beauty.